Wednesday 4 May 2016

Website creation

This week we started creating our own websites. I have to admit I am starting to enjoy the creative aspect of the course.  I remembered creating a website during my undergraduate studies and how difficult it seemed at the time, but I was amazed at just how easy it has become. We are not creating our websites from scratch, but instead we make use of templates from the website wix.com, using a topic we have chosen. I chose Altmetrics since I have become very interested in the topic after the presentation we had.  I also enjoy the social media aspect and how it can enhance my professional interaction.

If you are thinking about creating your own website, watch this Wix Tutorial 101 video on how to create your own website using wix.com.



We started off with searching for suitable templates for our topics, followed by searching for images on the Internet. This was not as easy as I thought at first. We have to bear in mind copyright issues  when using images from the Internet. I'm sure most of us are guilty of using images from the web without thinking about copyright. I've found however  that the best images are not labelled "for reuse or modification", so I had to look at quite a few search engines to find images I like. When using search engines such as Google, take note of usage rights and make sure that you use images labeled "for reuse".


                            

I stumbled upon this webpage, "The 7 best search engines for finding free images" which shows the best search engines for finding free images.  Finding images and a suitable template for my website was the easy part. The difficult part of this exercise is designing my framework and populating the website with content. So, the next step involves a lot of reading and preparing content.



No comments:

Post a Comment